Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let the Training Begin...

My cell phone is constantly on now. I keep it close by and listen for its single tone beep that it does when I receive a call. I don't have it set to ring 4 or 5 times before it goes to voice mail since I really don't give it that much time away from me. I'm not very athletic, but I do seem to be able to sprint out doorways, down crowded hallways and outside to be alone with it anytime it rings.

My son is at boot camp for the Army National Guard. He left 7 days ago. I don't know when or if he'll call, but I'll be ready.

Last night, at precisely 7:38 p.m., my cell phone rang and his Caller ID was on the display. I rushed out of a meeting to take the call in the hallway. No apologies. No explanation. I was unashamedly rude to the people I was meeting.

"Hey" was his quick hello to me. My heart sang with the familiarity of his usual greeting to me. He was calling to let me know that he's at his next phase of boot camp: his training center. This is where he'll be for the next few months, learning to be a soldier and serve as a military police.

Let my training begin, too.

My faith needs to get stronger than my fears. My worry needs to be transformed into worship. While he'll be building muscles and stamina, I'll be building up my faith and dependence on God.

No comments: