Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mimicking the Psalms

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.Whatever he does prospers. 4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. 5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,but the way of the wicked will perish. - Psalms 1:1-6 (NIV)

There are 150 Psalms to read and meditate in the Bible. Each one has a purpose in the context it was written and now in the context of my life. So, I've been trying to get the "pattern" of Psalms in my mind, heart and especially my prayer life. There are times, especially when my emotions are huge and my patience level is tiny, that I need to write my own Psalms to God in my prayers.

I've noticed that almost all of the Psalms in the Bible have these components:

  • Recap - my human situation
  • Reframe - from God's perspective
  • Rejoice - about God's power and ultimate control

I think that the mistake I often make is that I leave out or rearrange the order of these components. For instance, if I just skip straight to the "rejoice" component, and leave out the "recap" element, I still feel distant from God. I need the time to be honest with God, tell Him what I am really thinking and feeling, and trust Him with my human situation. Yes, I know that God knows what's going on, but I need to use my words to describe and communicate with God. It is the "relational" time I have with God: telling Him what's going on and what I am feeling.

"Reframing" my situation from my perspective to God's perpective is equally important. The God of eternity knows what the outcome of my circumstances will be, and I need to take time trying to view my short-term problems with His long-term results. There are times when my heart hurts so deeply, I can't see my situations from God's view. Suffering, pain, loneliness, loss - these are just a few of my human perspectives that need Godly refocus. This is the hardest component for me. I have to remember God's character as He reveals it to me through the Word and through the work of the Holy Spirit in my heart. Is He trying to grow my character? Is He trying to build my dependence on Him? Is He teaching me that He's the only one with perfect love for me?

"Rejoicing" is the culmination of the Psalms and of my life. After I've taken time to relate to God, to share my heart honestly and vulnerably with Him by recapping, then use all the things I know about God - His Character, my purpose and His plan for me - I can truly rejoice in Him. True rejoicing happens when I take the time and effort to recap and reframe my life. Those previous components help me be more authentic before God in my rejoicing. The more real I am before rejoicing or worshiping God, I've learned then my rejoicing is more true to my heart. I want my life to be a Psalm for God.

No comments: